Review by Marlene Engel
You know summer is right around the corner when Mary Kay Andrews puts out a new book. Her books are synonymous with the start of summer. With strong characters, a gripping storyline, and amazing imagery, Beach Town is a must read for the summer.
As a person who spends much time in Florida, Mary Kay’s research on the geographic location was spot on. She has a way of describing the landscape in such a way that if you’ve never been to Florida, you would leave the book feeling like you’ve spent your whole life there.
Charming, witty, and fun, Beach Town should be on everyone’s TBR list. I can’t think of a better book to kick off the start of the warm weather than this one. So grab your beach bag, a fruity drink and some sun screen and spend a day with Mary Kay.
Purchase the book at:
“12 THINGS ABOUT MARY KAY ANDREWS”
1. BEACH TOWN, my new book, is set in a fictional town called Cypress Key, Florida, that bears a not coincidental resemblance to Cedar Key, Florida, where I embedded myself while researching the book.
2. I have no sense of direction. Seriously. I have been known to get lost leaving my hotel room.
3. I am the only writer in the history of the world who doesn’t drink coffee. Instead I start my mornings with an icy Diet Coke.
4. I have a hyper-sensitive nose. I can sniff out anything, anywhere.
5. Even though I write about divorce all the time, I’ve been married to my high school sweetheart and starter husband for 38 years.
6. Show tunes! Love ‘em, and every business trip to New York to visit my publishers includes time out to see a Broadway show. My all-time fave is The Music Man.
7. Our two English setters, Wyatt and Weezie, have characters named after them in my books. Weezie was the protagonist of SAVANNAH BLUES and SAVANNAH BREEZE, Wyatt was the love interest in LADIES’ NIGHT.
8. I didn’t get my driver’s license until I was 21.
9. Every time I finish writing a book I celebrate with my two favorite junk foods, Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups and Wink Grapefruit soda. I have to smuggle the Wink back from North Carolina because it isn’t sold in Georgia.
10.I am a world-class junker, and my preferred buying mode is from estate sales, because I brake for dead people’s stuff.
11.I decided to make the protagonist of BEACH TOWN a film location scout because I’m a huge movie buff, and I’m always fascinated with where movies are filmed.
12.Even though my husband and I are empty nesters, I still run away from home every year to finish up my books in solitary confinement.
About the Author:
Mary Kay Andrews is the bestselling author of SAVE THE DATE, LADIES’ NIGHT, CHRISTMAS BLISS, SPRING FEVER, SUMMER RENTAL, THE FIXER UPPER, DEEP DISH, BLUE CHRISTMAS, SAVANNAH BREEZE, HISSY FIT, LITTLE BITTY LIES and SAVANNAH BLUES.
A former reporter for , she wrote ten critically acclaimed mysteries, including the Callahan Garrity mystery series, under her “real” name, which is Kathy Hogan Trocheck. Her mysteries have been nominated for the Edgar, Anthony, Agatha and Macavity Awards.
She has a B.A. in newspaper journalism from The University of Georgia (go Dawgs!), and is a frequent lecturer and writing teacher at workshops including Emory University, The University of Georgia’s Harriet Austin Writer’s Workshop, the Tennessee Mountain Writer’s Workshop and the Antioch Writer’s Workshop.
Married to her high school sweetheart, Tom, she has two adult children and two grandchildren. After a three-year hiatus in Raleigh, NC, she and her husband moved back to their old neighborhood in Atlanta. She also owns two restored beach cottages on Tybee Island, GA, both of which are named for fictional locations in her novels.
Connect with the author at:
Tandem Literary is giving one lucky winner a print copy of
Beach Town by Mary Kay Andrews
US Onlya Rafflecopter giveaway